I love self hosted apps, or BYOS (Bring Your Own Server). Today, with cloud providers like Linode, AWS, Rackspace and Digital Ocean, you can quickly spin up a VPS and deploy these applications to the cloud.
My favorites at the moment are the following:
What Makes Mailpile Different?
- Search – Powerful search & tagging makes your pile of mail managable, whether you have just a few messages, thousands or even millions.
- Speed – Mailpile is designed to be fast and responsive, outperforming “the cloud” even on slow computers.
- Privacy – Store your mail on devices you control, your search index is encrypted so if your computer gets stolen, your mail stays secure.
- Encryption – OpenPGP signatures and encryption are part of Mailpile’s core design, not an afterthought or plugin.
- No Ads – It’s ironic that most web-mail solutions filter out spam, only to replace it with their own advertisements.
- Self Hosted – Host your install of mailpile on your laptop, desktop, Raspberry PI, server in the cloud, or put it on a USB stick and carry it in your pocket.
InvoicePlane is a self-hosted open source application for managing your quotes, invoices, clients and payments.
- Easy Invoicing – InvoicePlane makes it easy to create new invoices with some simple clicks. Add items with taxes and custom fields. Clients can pay the invoice via PayPal.
- Quotes for Customers – Send a quote to your client. He can approve it with a single click from the InvoicePlane web-panel so you can start to work on the project or deliver the listed items.
- Manage your Customers – The application provides CRM-like management for your customers. Enter contact details, notes or add custom fields for your own details like project identiefiers.
- Track all Payments – Enter Payments for Invoices in InvoicePlane and keep track of the clients balance. All payments can be linked to an invoice to track the payments for them.
- Make InvoicePlane fit your Needs – You can customize InvoicePlane to make sure it will fit your needs: currencies, application interface, email templates, invoice groups, taxes and quote or invoice templates.
OwnCloud is a self hosted file sharing, CardDav and CalDav server. In other words, host your own Dropbox and Gmail.
Mail-in-a-Box lets you become your own mail service provider in a few easy steps. It’s sort of like making your own gmail, but one you control from top to bottom.
Technically, Mail-in-a-Box turns a fresh cloud computer into a working mail server. But you don’t need to be a technology expert to set it up.
Vaultier offers easy but still safe and secure password sharing within your team. You can simply manage the team with the help of user management.
Vaultier is based on advanced security technology (RSA over AES). All data stored in Vaultier databases are encrypted and can be read only by authorized users with valid keys. Encryption keys are always stored on client machines. Furthermore, what you always get is a stand-alone installation with your own database.
Scrollback is a collaborative chat system for teams. Nurture your community with meaningful conversations.
Create rooms based on your interest or follow existing ones. Share ideas, discuss realtime and redefine your online community experience with Scrollback.
What is Let’s Chat?
Way back in 2012, we didn’t like any of the existing chat services out there. So we decided to write our own.
Let’s Chat is a persistent messaging application that runs on Node.js and MongoDB. It’s designed to be easily deployable and fits well with small, intimate teams.
It’s free (MIT licensed) and ships with killer features such as LDAP/Kerberos authentication, a REST-like API and XMPP support.
Let’s Chat is a side-project of the development team at Security Compass. (A real life 10% time project!)
- BYOS (bring your own server)
- LDAP / Kerberos Authentication
- XMPP Multi-user chat (MUC)
- Multiple Rooms
- Desktop Notifications
- Image embeds
- File uploads
- Hubot Friendly
- REST-like API
- Transcripts / Chat History
- MIT Licensed
What is Kandan? Kandan is a private chat service for your company or team. You can invite colleagues to share ideas and files in a persistent group chat room or rooms.
Unlike HipChat or other alternatives, Kandan is completely Open Source and can be hosted internally or externally by your organization or by a third party.
These are features that work out of the box on any provider:
- Easy deploy to CloudFoundry, Heroku, dotCloud, etc.
- Collaborative team chat
- Unlimited channels
- Embed formats for images and youtube videos with requests for others (twitter, facebook, g+, etc.)
- Synchronized sound player – play any audio-tag compatible url for the whole channel (Pending :P)
- /me command!
- Highly extensible plugin format
- Your very own robotic companion
Collaborative Chat application for teams.
- Custom username/password
- Windows Authentication
- Social Authentication
- …and others
- Assign a gravatar to your nick. Be recognized, even in JabbR!
- Pick a flag to represent your country
- Integrated into Chrome to provide you with popup desktop notifications.
- Audio notifications.
- We support Emoji!
- File uploads
- Shortcut keys
- Powerful IRC style commands
- Display inline content
- Google Docs
A flexible Open Source Social Network Kit
- NOTIFICATIONS – Well informed about things related to you
- ACTIVITY STREAM – Monitor work and communications at a glance
- DASHBOARD – Overview and fast access to the most important information
- SPACES – Communicate and collaborate subject-related
- SOCIAL TOOLS – Follow, like and connect with other
- USER PROFILES – The digital business card for each user
- GROUPS – Organize user in departments, branches or anything else
- DIRECTORY – Find spaces, users and groups in a sorted way
- FILES – Share documents, media files and discuss about it
- SEARCH – Find people, discussions and files easily
- MOBILE READY – Use it with all kind of modern devices like smart phones and tablets
An open source status page system written in PHP (but don’t hold that against it).
Those of you that counted will notice that there were 11 not 10. Congratulations on being so observant!